Monday, January 27, 2014

Protective Style - Corn Rows

Hey there,
It's Monday and back to feeling cute again.  Wanna know why?  Because my natural hair IS NOT out! That's right, I said it.  I know for all of my naturalistas, that's probably blasphemous talk - sorry ladies…but that's truly how I feel.  And this blog is about keeping it real on MY hair journey.

So last week, I took down my tree braids because they were old and it was time.  I looked forward to seeing my hair, washing my hair, and trying some new product for my hair.  I went to Target and bought some Shea Moisture conditioner and some Argon oil, and was ready.  I washed my hair, conditioned it, put all of the moisturizing products I could in it, flat twisted it and went about my business.  In the morning, I was excited to see how it was going to turn out.


This is what my hair looked like.  A HOT MESS!!  And let's understand something…the front was laid down with some edge gel.  The back was a thick mess.  There was nothing else I could do but wear it like this.  AND I ABSOLUTELY HATED IT!!  I immediately called my girlfriend to see if she could braid my hair.  She told me yes.  And we made a date.  I went to by my $6 hair for my cornrows, and ended up stopping into my beauticians place so she could see my hair.  She said…"what a cute wash and go."  UMMMM….HELLO…  This was not a wash and go.  I twisted my hair the night before.  Her answer - NO YOU DIDN'T…Shut up Keisha.  That's a wash and go!!  DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?  I clearly don't know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to MY NATURAL HAIR!!  She felt so sorry for me that she washed my hair and conditioned it for me as I got ready to go and get it braided.  She told me that she's going to twist it the next time, and then in the morning, I'm going to go back to her so she can untwist it and show me how to do it.  I can't wait so she can see that my hair ain't gonna do it!!!

Here's what I think is happening…MY HAIR IS REBELLING!!  I've had a perm for over 30 years.  I think my hair is soooooo mad at me that it's decided to do it's own thing until further notice.  Wellll…..I'm taking back my power…I'm wearing protective styles until my hair can get it's self together and simmer down.  I WILL NOT WALK AROUND LOOKING A HOT DAMN MESS!!  I can be cute with braids, tree braids, weaves, and whatever other protective style I chose.  So this months protective style..corn rows….
I feel so much better, and can look people in the eye again.  And I look cute…so I think.  LOL…

Reminder…I'm on a natural hair journey.  It's going to take some time for my hair to grow to a length that is cute on me.  Until then, I will keep it ALL THE WAY REAL about this journey.  It ain't easy, it ain't fun…But it's MY journey and I'm going to stick to it for the health of my hair and scalp.  Stay with me.

Hair love~

PS - Corn rows done by Natina Gurley…hit me if you want her information.  She's amazing!!

4 comments:

  1. OMG....I LOVE YOU!!!! IThink you are beautiful. ... and I TOTALLY "GET" you struggle. ...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am learning so many new natural hair terms from reading your blog, Heidi! And you can wear some damn cornrows, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you......because I feel the same way about my hair....I refuse to walk out my door looking a Hot Dayum Mess... :)

    ReplyDelete