Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Protective Styles - Forever?

So right now I'm rocking corn rows.  This is isn't my first go round with corn rows, and most definitely won't be the last.  And while I love these braids, right now…I'm OVER IT!!  For a natural chick, braids are one of the protective styles used to grow your hair.  Now, we know my hair is short, and it's going to take a long time for my hair to get to a length that I'm going to be happy with.  So does this mean I'm going to have to wear my hair in braids forever?  UMMMM……can't do it!!!  I don't have the time or the wherewithal to sit and get my hair braided every few weeks.  Nor do I want to see, what little edges I have, disappear because I've been wearing braids to much.  So what is a girl to do?

Yeah…I know…embrace my natural hair and wear it out.  But ya'll know…I'm not there yet.  I keep looking at different youtube videos praying that someone is going to show me a hairstyle that my hair will do that looks cute.  And I keep praying that one day soon I'm going to wake up, see my natural hair, and love it.  That day is coming…BUT IT JUST AIN'T HERE YET!!

It's been a year since my last perm.  I'm supposing that I will have to wear protective styles for at least another year.  Hopefully my hair will double the length in length.  Crazy thinking?  Nope…Hopeful!!  But a year of protective styles?  Geez!!!!!  This journey has got to take a turn for the good soon….Please Lord!!!

My hair has been one of my most prized possessions.  Now it's almost a curse.  I need help, I know.  But remember…I'm telling my truth.  Looking in the mirror, I don't see my old self…I see…well, I'll keep that to myself.  I'm not super excited with what I see.  But I'm working on loving what I see.  Time will tell and time will hopefully help me to begin to feel better.  Until then...

Hair love~

No comments:

Post a Comment