Monday, January 20, 2014

Somebody Done Told ME Wrong!!

SOMEBODY DONE TOLD ME WRONG!!  This hair journey is BS!!  Every week I look at various youtube videos of women who showcase their natural hair styles.  They give suggestions on how to do your hair, tutorials on how to get a certain look, and tutorials on various products that they feel are best for natural hair.  All of the youtube videos I've watched (over 100) have a woman, who in the end is candidly talking about how much she enjoys her hair, her journey and the entire process.  Ummmm……that is some BULLSHIT!!  Please forgive my french, but there is no way that everyone that has experienced this journey has had a great time.  And if they are truthful about it, this journey is one that is extremely hard.  Ok…maybe it's hard for me.  So let me tell MY truth.

As I shared before, I'm going through this journey as a result of my scalp allergy towards the perm chemicals.  My hair was beginning to fall out, and my dermatologist suggested I stop with the chemicals or suffer the consequence of total hair loss.  Only a fool would continue with the perm.  So I stopped.  I got my last perm in January 2013.  Since then, my hair has grown out of most of the perm and then in August I did the BIG CHOP and cut out the remainder of the perm.  From then, my hair has been au natural!!  Now let's remember, I've had a perm since I was about 11 or 12, so my hair has been trained with a perm.  Now without a perm, my hair has a mind of its own.  I have several different curl patterns in my hair, it's very coily (some of my friends get mad when I say nappy), and in my opinion... UGLY!  Yes it's grown a bit since I got it all cut off….thank God…but it's still NOT MY CUP OF TEA!!  I'm just going to keep it real…I AM MY HAIR!!  There, I said it.  Many women are trying to fight that thought…I've tried….but it's just not my truth.  I LOVE HAIR!  I love how I look when my hair is cute.  I get confidence from my hair.  And I'm ok with that.  Yes I'm confident in other areas, but let's keep it real…society is JUDGEMENTAL!!  Women are judged on their looks, their bodies, and how they carry themselves.  And then we are judged on everything else.  So when I walk into a room and my hair is not on point, someone can see my insecurity and immediately will judge me.  So why lie…I AM MY HAIR and everything else that makes me.

So…I will continue on this journey.  I have yet to learn how to make my hair cute.  We will go through this together.  If you have tips, pics, websites or you tubes that I should look at, PLEASE put it out there for me.  I'M DESPERATE.

The journey AND the struggle is real….LOL
Hair love~

3 comments:

  1. Your truth is your truth, girlfriend! Nice to hear your voice on your blog, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, everyone has their own story.

      Delete
    2. I hear and totally understand....all I say is do you and that is all you can do.

      Delete