Sunday, September 1, 2013

Big Chop

So, August 30, 2013, I finally did the BIG CHOP.  WOW!!!  It was....it was.....I'm depressed.  I sat there and watched my stylist cut out all of the perm in my hair.  While I wanted to cry, I held back the tears and just watched as 32 years of perming, straightening, curling, flat ironing, blow drying....get cut out and fall to the floor.  I've had a perm since I was 11.  This has been my life.  My hair has been a BIG part of my life.  I LOVE HAIR!!  I love doing new things with my hair.  From a weave, to braids, to a wig, to curly, to straight, I love it all.  And now....I'm just trying to find a way to style my TWA (Teeny Weeny Afro).  And I have yet to figure this out.  I know that this journey will take time and patience - the one thing that I am lacking in.  I'm clear that this part of my journey is to really work on me in the area of patience.  But dang if I didn't wish we could work on another area right now because my hair looking crazy requires way more than patience.

Ok, so I will stop complaining.  Let me talk about the positive aspects of my BIG CHOP.  I no longer have to deal with 2 different textures in my hair.  Boy was I looking like Ronald McDonald when I had two textures.  I now can see my curl patterns in my hair.  And I must say, I thought my hair was much more curlier than it is.  Let's get real, I thought my was going to look like taco meat.  LOL...But it doesn't.  It's actually not as tight as I thought.  So this getting to know my hair is quite interesting, and I'm excited to see what I can really do with my hair, and what other changes it will go through.

So please stay with me on this journey.  I'm thankful for all of the encouragement I've been getting.  I'm in two hair groups on Facebook, and these ladies have all of the expertise.  Plus I subscribe to many YouTube video naturalistas who give great advice.  Plus...my friends....they are truly encouraging.

Stay tuned for more to come on this journey.

~Hair love




No comments:

Post a Comment